Tuesday 21 October 2008

'Stress'

I've had the funniest day!! we had our weekly live performance class and this week we were doing 'Money' by Pink Floyd. For any of you musically minded folk, its in 7/4 time!! Really hard, plus the lyrics are a knightmare! It was funny today because everyone mucked up, including my friend Sarah who lost hope completely(the trick is to carry on and pretend it didn't happen) and during the long guitar solo, she just stood on stage, hand on hip, looking really pissed off! Hilarious! Plus Florence, for whom English isn't her first language, got the lyrics pretty much spot on!! She definately did the best job today and totally put the rest of us to shame! In general we all had such a laugh at each other and ourselves which was a nice change and reminded me not to take myself so seriously! Its so important not to compare ourselves to each other because we're all on our own separate learning curve! So, it was a good afternoon.

It only got better when in our sight singing class we were sightreading radion jingles! Hilarious! Real cheesy ones from the 80's! Believe it or not, as a session singer, radio jingles can be rather profitable!

So ok, it was a good day but I've just finished a rehearsal with my friend and at one point I just flopped over the keyboard out of sheer exhaustion! Don't worry...I'm fine but the days really catch up on you unexpectedly in this place! I came in for 10am, had advanced techniques, advanced concepts, live performance workshop and then sight-singing so the next time I look at my watch its 6pm!! After two hours practice my friend sat me down and attempted to give me a back massage (she's REALLY good) and there is so much tension in my back! I've had this problem for a few years...I just can't relax! not good, especially for singing posture! Why am I telling you this? Well, I guess I just realised how much of the stress I carry, I internalise. I mean, its usually when we say we aren't stressed that we generally are! I need to figure out how to really take time out. I'm still settling in here; its still new and strange and I've heard the same guitar riff from the room nextdoor for about 30 mins now!!! (that didn't really fit in with that sentence but its annoying me so I had to vent!lol

I'm rambling now...so tired but I have a band rehearsal at 10pm! Better go and learn another song!

If anyone has any ideas to help my tension problem...two weeks in the sun, complete isolation?...let me know!

1 comment:

:brittany// said...

Oh, Elisabeth. I am really enjoying your blog, just so you know. I left you a facebook but then realized I could read your blog and see how things were. :) Don't get too stressed. I don't have anything awesome to tell you in regards to how you should relax.. but I can just say talk to God about it. Always feels better. :)