Monday 27 October 2008

Outside the box

I am soooooo excited!! I'm going home for a few days on Friday and I can't wait!!! 

I'm sitting in one of the music buildings listening to William teaching stage techniques on the lower ground! It is quite possibly the funniest class I have ever been in. He always takes things to the complete extreme with the aim of pushing us outside the box, in terms of our stage presence...and I thought performing was just about having a good voice...ha! Wrong!!lol...he has us following imaginary flying birds, twirling the mic lead in demented circles, trailing the stand across the stage...the list is endless! Today was especially hilarious because we had to pick things that people had to incorporate into their performance and well, we were quite cruel and picked the most ludicrous things! Poor Yuko...we had her spinning around, high kicking the air, falling onto her kness...but the best one was the 'walking down the stairs'...brilliant!!! It was hilarious but its times like these when I wish I had the ability to laugh quietly into myself instead of snorting and guffawing all over the place!! I'm going to get a taste of my own medicine in an hour though because I stupidly booked a private lesson with William (before I realised that he would be making people throw the mic stand around the stage!) I dread to think what he'll make me do!

So basically, these stage techniques classes aren't about turning us into complete demented extroverts on stage, but about pushing us so far out of our comfort zones that in the process we might learn about who we are as a performer. It made me think about the times that God has pushed me outside of my comfort zone on so many occasions and although (like Will's classes!!) it's terrifying, we learn more about ourselves and what we are actually capable of. So I guess, although it seems unnatural at the start, we find a part of us that was there all along....it just takes a mad dive into the audience to find it. Don't worry, no one did that in class today...there's only 9 of us....


No comments: