Thursday 7 January 2010

Corrie ten Boom

'God has planned no problem...there's never a panic in heaven'

We recently did a series in church about the heroes of the Christian faith and the woman quoted above is a lady called Corrie ten Boom who died in 1983. In 1940 she and her family were involved in the Dutch underground where they hid refugess and rescued many Jews from death during the Haulocaust. Her story is so powerful and has reminded me that God's truth really does shine brightest in dark times. I haven't read her book yet but its on the list. She shares so many amazing stories of God's provision in supernatural ways. She carried around with her a spirit of thankfulness in the most horrible situation; she used to give thanks for the fleas that surrounded them as they hid and it turns out that was the very reason the guards never came into their space and so they were able to have their services and share Jesus with everyone.

The reason I'm sharing Corrie with you is that there was one other thing that she talked about which has meant a lot to me recently. She used to talk about getting on the train with her father when she was a child. Her father would keep hold of her ticket until they were just about to get on and then give it to her. I always forget that God will provide for me just at the moment I need it most. Isn't that amazing, that God knows when we are most in need and gives us what we need. At the moment I'm still struggling with earning money and I'm praying for so many thing but god knows when I will truly need it. My friends Val and Brit are in the middle of a situation regarding finding a house. They have a deadline and I'm know God will provide for them!

The greatest thing I have learned, probably thus far in my Christian walk is that God wants me to seek his provision, to actually pray and discern over my desires....and ask for them! Why is it we always assume that God doesn't want us to have something and we don't seek it because we feel selfish. Gods agenda for us doesn't include lacking, pain, sickness, depression, poverty...we will have to endure these things at times but never to the point of breaking. We just have to wait patiently for a time when God is going to fix it. In the meantime though, lets pray against the darkness around us like Corrie did and expect God to show up!

'God has planned no problem...there's never a panic in heaven' Corrie ten Boom

1 comment:

Richie Francis said...

Yay!

Your back!

Great blog, a nice little encouragement for the day. I always worry about money. I have it in my head that God will provide, and I remember the verse about the lillies and the birds and how God provides for them and how much more he loves us, but its always so much harder to remember that when you're broke! Thanks for reminding me :-)